Gingerbread cookies with maple syrup
Maple syrup gingerbread cookies are the most traditional festive biscuits. Very sweet and spicy-scented, they are a real December tradition when baked together as a family.
The dough is very easy to prepare, but it needs to be refrigerated for at least a couple of hours to reach the right consistency to cut out the biscuits. This is enough time for a hot chocolate and a board game.
The gingerbread cookies with maple syrup should be placed well apart on the baking tray because they will swell during baking. If you are making them to hang on the Christmas tree, remember to poke a hole in the top with a straw.
The decoration should be done when the biscuits are well chilled and you can indulge yourself! Of course, they are also delicious in this way… How many will be left on the tree at the end of the festive season?
Preparation: 10 minutes (+ rest time)
Baking: 15 minutes
- 150 g of butter
- 380 g of flour 00
- 160 g of sugar
- 140 g of Maple Farm Maple Syrup, Grade A, Dark variety
- 1 egg
- the tip of a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- the tip of a teaspoon of cloves
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of white pepper
For the icing
- 3 tablespoons of icing sugar
- egg white as required
- Soften the cubed butter at room temperature, then whip it together with the sugar.
- Then add the other ingredients: flour, spices, maple syrup, egg, salt and baking soda. The mixture is fragrant and very soft and almost creamy.
- Wrap the dough in cling film or a food bag and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 180° and, in the meantime, roll out the dough to a height of half a centimeter. Cut out the biscuits using the biscuit cutter. Then place them on the baking tray, well spaced out, as they will expand during baking.
- If you want to hang them, make a hole at the top, bearing in mind that the hole will tend to tighten during baking.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Leave to cool on the baking tray for ten minutes, before moving gently.
- When the maple syrup gingerbread cookies are cold, prepare the icing with icing sugar and a few teaspoons of egg white and then decorate with the eyes and mouth. You can also use food coloring for a more imaginative effect.